Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for pioneering medical treatment, leading-edge research, and specialized clinical education. Founded in 1923 by Dr. Frank Lahey, today we honor his vision of a “physician-led multidisciplinary group practice” through our uniquely collaborative approach to patient care. A national leader in areas including cardiology, neurology, liver transplant, digestive diseases, urology, and lung cancer screenings, LHMC delivers high-quality, patient-centered care across more than 50 medical and surgical specialties.
As part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a healthcare system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, and more than 4,800 physicians and 36,000 employees, LHMC is serving more patients than ever and is seizing new opportunities to advance extraordinary care closer to you, no matter what challenge comes our way.
Quality, safety, equity, and access to extraordinary care and the best possible patient experience defines our True North. Patients receive the best care and have the best outcomes when teams of caregivers work together. We are proud that our collaborative approach to quality and safety—and the dedication of our caregivers to providing high-quality care—has been recognized as being among the best of the best:
- 5-out-of-5-Star Designation from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for quality and safety and overall hospital quality
- “A” grade from The Leapfrog Group in 2022 for the 10th consecutive year for LHMC’s continued commitment to patient safety
- Lahey is among the top 1% of hospitals in the nation, ranked one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals in 2020, 2021, and 2022 by Healthgrades for overall clinical excellence.
As a teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, and with physician leaders who also hold appointments at Harvard Medical School and Boston University School of Medicine, Lahey is committed to advancing medicine through the mentorship and education of tomorrow’s healthcare leaders. Everything we do across research and education is in service to the best care.
Discovery & Innovation
- 1st facility in the United States designated as an accredited Lung Cancer Screening Center by the American College of Radiology
- Lahey’s liver transplant team performed the first adult living donor transplant in New England in 1998. Today, 1 out of every 11 liver transplants in the U.S. is performed here.
- Lahey’s Landsman Heart & Vascular Center is consistently named 1 of the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S. by Thomas Reuters.
- 195 physicians from nearly every division are conducting more than 400 research projects and have submitted more than 500 publications over the last three years, securing approximately $4 million in extramural funding.
- 3,000+ patients are enrolled in 370 clinical trials, with a primary focus on cancer, cardiovascular disease, and neurology.
Philanthropy is critical to sustaining Lahey as a premier destination for patients, clinicians, and staff who recognize the unique value we add to the communities we serve. Our top priorities for support include:
- Greatest Needs Fund – Unrestricted support has the greatest immediate impact on LHMC, allowing us to make investments across a wide range of initiatives that enhance patient care and advance our research and education enterprise.
- Capital Investments – Critical to our ability to continue providing world-class care to the community are investments in space and facilities that support the talent, programs, and technology that make Lahey special.
- People and Programs – Extraordinary care depends on superior talent and model programs for clinical excellence, employee wellness, and workforce development.
- Research and Education – We advance care delivery through discovery & innovation and by educating tomorrow’s healthcare leaders.
As we embark on our next century, we honor our legacy while charting our future—a future where Lahey continues to raise our level of world-class care near the communities where you live, fueled by discovery and innovation, and delivered by a diverse and talented workforce that will define excellence in care at LHMC for years to come.
Together, we will ensure a bright future for Lahey Hospital & Medical Center.